At Calder Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their Literacy. RWI is a method of learning centered around letter sounds and phonics and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing in Class 1 and with pupils who need more support in Classes 2 and 3.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn how to blend sounds
- learn to read words using 'Fred Talk'
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
The Read Write Inc Website has some great tutorial videos to help you understand how Read Write Inc works and how you can support your child at home. They can be found at: https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
If you have any questions about your child's learning, please do not hesitate to speak to their class teacher.